Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Was it bad service?

Location: Suntec City Mall Basement Fountain Food Terrace
Time: Morning

Presently there are 2 favourite stalls among the office people working in Suntec. First the roti, coffee and eggs stall. The second which is relatively new, is the chinese breakfast tim sum stall, which opened after Tong Heng closed down a couple of months ago.

When I approached the coffee stall, there was basically no queue and I was the second in line. The coffee uncle was making coffee for another person in front of me and was chatting away with each other. Even though I was the second in line, I waited more than 5 minutes for my coffee to be ready. The coffee uncle was simply taking his own sweet time to prepare 2 ice-coffees and another hot coffee to be taken away. I was ok waiting for them to finish so I waited patiently for my order to be taken. My point is, fortunately I was the second in line... I pitied those who joined the queue later on and I did notice the queue was getting very long.

Subsequently I went to the tim sum store to ta pao some chwee kuei for breakfast. I ordered 4 chwee kuei, which I usually do. The stall keeper said that according to their promotion, they are selling 5 for $2. I told them I only need 4 and they would cost $1.60 in total. In my heart I felt that there was no promotion at all. The stall is just trying to sell more to the customers by selling 5 at one go. I persisted to just order 4.

The chwee kuei(s) were passed to another stall keeper who is in-charged of collecting money and adding sauce or in my case, "chai po" to the chwee kuei. I handled her the money while she told me that next time if I wanted to buy again, I have to buy 5 at the same time. I politely replied I could only eat 4 and 5 are too much. Instead of accepting that, she said even if I cannot finish, I should purchase 5. At this moment I was a little "fired" but remained calm because I did not want to kick up a fuss. I did not need a "lecture" in a morning like this.

When the naggy auntie handled me the packet, she asked for the payment which I have already given to her. I told straight in her face that I have paid but she insisted that she did not received and pointed to the cashier that the amount was not keyed. That was her business right. I could not contain myself anymore and shouted at the top of my voice (so everyone in the food court can hear) that I have paid, and if she was not happy, she could ask her boss to see me. I left the stall while she kept quiet, surprised that someone would shout at her.

What stupidity!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home